Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Misadventures in Paleo - Three Week Update


I'm a little over three weeks into my Paleo/Primal experience, and it's still so far so good! Here's my update after almost a month of eating like a cavewoman!

Progress: Weight loss has been halted at 8-9 pounds for the last two weeks, and I'm okay with that...for now. I only wanted to lose 15 pounds total, so it's not a big deal. Hopefully, I can make more progress over the next few weeks. I wasn't planning to lose all my weight right away. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a marathon, and not a sprint.

Sticking to it: I must say, I've been proud of myself. I haven't put a single grain-related item in my mouth in almost a month. I've also avoided soda, chips and almost all kinds of highly processed and refined foods. I'm still staying within my 1550 calories/day limit most days and keeping my carbs under 100g/day.

Cheats: The one thing I can't seem to ditch is the creamer I put in my coffee every morning. I use a Coffeemate sweetened creamer... and I hate not putting creamer in my coffee. I did stumble upon a vanilla flavored coconut milk coffee creamer... it's much more Paleo friendly, so I'll be giving that a try next week. Aside from that, the only cheat I have had is ranch dressing... I haven't yet had a grain-filled cheat meal.

Favorite Recipes: 

-My favorite thus far is still the Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs from Practical Paleo, but I also tried the bacon-wrapped chicken thighs... and they were tasty too!
-My favorite quick recipe is Salmon Cakes (from Practical Paleo; it uses canned salmon, so it only takes a few minutes to make).
-For lunch, I almost always eat a big salad with some form of meat and home made dressing. I absolutely love this balsamic vinaigrette recipe (the site has a number of other dressing recipes)... I use the dressing almost every day.


-I also stumbled across a healthy dessert the other day for Strawberry Paleo Ice Cream and it hit the spot when my sweet tooth started acting up!


What a Typical Day Looks Like
Breakfast - Two  fried eggs and three slices of Nitrate-Free bacon
Lunch - Salad with home made salad dressing (usually balsamic).
Dinner - Meat with a veggie side
Snacks - Handful of raspberries and a couple squares of 72% Cacao dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, nitrate free lunch meat and mustard, or a homemade Paleo dessert.

 My first attempt at Kale Chips... not very successful.

The Hardest Part: Well, I'm fully over the carb flu and My energy is back... but I have been frustrated that I haven't lost even a pound in the last two weeks, in spite of being strictly away from the carbs and processed foods. I will need to keep watching the metrics of my eating and see if anything needs to be tweaked. I've also had a major sweet tooth lately, which is pretty unnatural for me.

Three Week Overall Rating: Still holding at an 8 out of 10! In spite of the lack of movement on the scale, I feel better and know I'm doing something good for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment